Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sun Shower

I was hoping I would learn of some good, safe alternatives to pesticides, but if they exist, they're not used here. Here are three tricks I've learned for dealing with bugs:


1. physical - putting a light, almost see-through tarp over plants, especially if the bugs are jumping or crawling ones, as opposed to slithering ones (like worms or slugs). This should block less than 10% of sunlight and deter bugs. I'll try to include a picture of one they use here. Also, they will physically pick off and get rid of bugs they see crawling on plants they don't cover.

2. environmental - this is Andy and Lalanya's strongest defense, but the hardest to accomplish if you live in a city or dense suburban area. Toads, dragonflies, and bats are bug-eaters. Also, you can grow a plant nearby which attracts ladybugs, which also eat bad bugs. Companion planting isn't used here much, but the theory is that you can plant certain things together, and one will help deter bugs from another - peppers do that for a lot of plants.

3. geographical - andy and lalanya typically plants two beds in different locations of the same kind of plant. that way, if one bed gets attacked by bugs, they'll still probably be able to get a yield from the other.



Today I used the solar shower. It felt amazing to shower right in the middle of the beautiful garden, looking out on corn fields and big, fluffy, white clouds. I'm trying to figure out how I can incorporate outdoor showers into my life more often - a solar shower bag is only $10 at Walmart. Tempting.


I also learned quite a bit about some different herbs today and captured some great "Lalanyaisms"...

- catnip can be consumed as a tea, it's relaxing and will provide menstrual cramping relief

- lemon balm heals cold sores, is antiviral and gives an uplifting sense of calm

- red clover is part of the legume family, so it provides the same anti-cancer benefits as legumes, and it aids in fertility

- fever few helps with headaches and migraines and can ben consumed as a tincture

Lalanya's new favorite garage sale find for drying herbs


lemon balm growing in the garden


fever few



“Hey! His wing is not food, ya bing bing!”
- Lalanya to a turkey

Lalanya: Red clover are also good for fertility, so I try not to eat too many of those.
Me: You and Andy don’t want kids?
Lalanya, shouting: NO!!!

2 comments:

  1. ahh the outdoor shower sounds terrific. sorry wheaton didn't go as great as you may have hoped but if i know you, you were about to show your heart through it all. i have no doubts it's in His hands. wish to hug you now, my dear one. keep your chin up. not too much longer, soooak it up. ps, farmers tan??

    ReplyDelete
  2. that should say ABLE not ABOUT up there. oh my.

    ReplyDelete