There’s something comforting about knowing your bottom isn’t going to get splashed when you poop in an outhouse. That’s one thing I’ve really enjoyed about being here on the farm. Slightly graphic, yes, but i have that thought everyday, so a documentary of my time here would be incomplete without including it.
Today was the farmer’s market - our busiest day of the week. We woke up early to pick radishes, lettuce, kale, garlic heads, herbs, peas, etc. then took them all to the store to be washed, weighed and bagged. Andy and Lalanya got 15 two-day old turkeys today, so they asked if I would mind supervising them during the market so kids could pet them, hold them and blow bubbles and make sidewalk chalk art near them. I feel like I got the best job of the day! The turkey babies are SO cute, and without their mom they love to be snuggled near your chest. They will almost immediately fall asleep in your hands. Not for long, though! These guys will be close to 22 lbs by Thanksgiving time when Andy and Lalanya sell them.
Me: “And the rest is history.”
Farmers market customer: “And the rest is Thanksgiving.”
There was also a very small duckling which was rescued from the side of the road by a local and given to Lalanya this morning, so I spent some time trying to teach it and the baby turkeys how to drink water and warding off turkeys who tried to gang up on the duckling. I had no idea, but turkey moms have to teach their young how to drink. Otherwise a turkey could be standing in water and die of dehydration. Since these turkeys were hatched in an incubator and shipped right afterward, Lalanya and I did this instead. It was exciting to see them begin to drink water themselves as the day went on.
Needless to say, I befriended tons of kids today! The turkey box with a sign that said, “Come meet the baby turkeys” was a magnet, and kids ages 2 - high school came over, hung out, chatted and shared samples of cookies they’d helped their parents make, who were vendors at the market. Such hilarious, entertaining and darling conversations. One 10-year-old girl watches a television show called “Biz Kids” about kids who start their own businesses, and she sells cookies she bakes with her brother. “The secret ingredient is almond extract,” she said, talking out of the side of her mouth and cupping her hand so only I could see her lips moving. “It helps the cherries keep their flavor.” Another 6th grade boy has a whole room full of small clay figurines made out of three different types of clay. Each type is its own race of people, and each race has an intricate history, which he elaborately laid out for me over multiple long conversations. There are clay armies and pyramids, movie theaters, sphinx, libraries, and textile shops in that room of his. Kids are awesome. Today was great.
I was able to drive into Wheaton on Wednesday, spend the afternoon in the library, the evening among friends, and the night sleeping in a room next to my mom. On Thursday, I woke up early and drove into the city to give a sample reading lesson at Marquez Charter School. The lesson went well, but I misplaced my assessment project I wanted to show them, and I stumbled through the interview questions afterward, so I had to acknowledge again that my future is in God’s hands. Andy and Lalanya wanted me to call and let them know what time I’d be getting in. When I talked to them on the phone, Andy told me I’m one of the few wwoofers they’re genuinely looking forward to having back. I can honestly say they have become friends to me. When I pulled up last night and joined them in their living room to discuss details for the next morning, they were both in their pj’s. They told stories about the first flight of the baby cardinal chicks which hatched 6 days ago, and left the nest while I was in Chicago. They gave me tips for squelching my poison ivy, and we laughed about chickens, big cities and swooping bats getting stuck in Lalanya’s hair. Lalanya’s laugh is precious. She’s one of the most precious people I know. Tomorrow morning we’re going garage sale-ing together.
No comments:
Post a Comment